TUESDAY, September 2 - Day 1
- BTS Tasks (10 minutes max)
- Note-taking recommendations
- Survival Expressions - Brainstorming
- Hand out pink packets
- Discuss the Expresate wall
- Lesson Intro - Mi vida en Plano, Texas
- Warm Up - Find out...
- Graphic Organizer - Free Time Activities, Obligations, Descriptions of my life, leave space for planning questions to ask a partner
- Interpersonal Moment - Questioning each other about their lives and info
- Teacher Questions about their lives, people in their lives, when they do things, why they do things
- Is your life a typical life in Plano?
- Warm Up - Find out...
- Introducing Andy Shields! - Question students about Andy using a slide with his picture and images representing what they will read in the blog later.
- Explain Andy is going to "estudiar en el extranjero" in Guadalajara, Mexico for a semester, live with another family
- Ask students questions about traveling and if they are interested in traveling to study
WEDNESDAY, September 3 - Day 2
- Introducing Guadalajara, Mexico (video)
- Facts about Guadalajara - 1.5 million people, largest state capital in Mexico, in state of Jalisco - MAP of Mexico to demonstrate where it is, tapatios is the name the people from Jalisco or Guadalajara call themselves (like Texans)
- Por que es bueno para los extranjeros (0:00 - 2:10) - Use as listening with some type of graphic organizer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPHzbmCbpYQ&index=44&list=PLNiMGkbRQZbS8BB4WheJLsIDsZO573omF
- Guadalajara, Jalisco - Highlights Video (6:05): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umA4sHFBAo
- Comparison to Plano, Texas (Interpersonal Speaking / Presentational Writing) - Venn Diagram with partners (in target language)
- Give bullet points to discuss while constructing the Venn
- What interests you about Guadalajara? Mexico? Studying Abroad?
THURSDAY, September 4 - Day 3
- Find Someone Who... - Ice Breaker in Spanish
- Review: Who Andy is, that he is studying abroad in Guadalajara and that he is living with a family while he is there.
- Pre-reading strategy: Todo de mi familia - modify the graphic organizer on page 3 of the SIP to focus on students' families first. Include some specific categories for them to complete.
- Quick interpersonal conversation about the information about their families
- Blog #1 and follow up organizer pg. 3 SIP
- Instruct students to read Andy's blog about the Mexican family
- Complete the second half of the graphic organizer, p. 3 SIP after reading
- Circle of Questions about the blog and specific info you want to highlight.
- Vocabulary Share - Take one more look through the blog for vocabulary that
- is new to you
- that is connected to the learning targets of the lesson
- Questions? - SIP p. 4-5
- Explain to students that a super important skill in a language is the ability to ask questions. Tell them we have to practice asking questions all the time.
- Instruct students to use Blog #1 for page 4-5
FRIDAY, September 5 - Day 4
- Warm Up - Vocabulary Sort - Make a manipulative with several different vocabulary words (people, places, things, animals, descriptions, events). Have students work in 2-3's to sort them and assign categories to them.
- Vocabulary Practice - Explaining Things I Know - Graphic organizer based on question words:
- Write the words they sorted into the graphic organizer, use the categories they created to establish What it is
- Complete the rest of the graphic organizer with answers to the questions at the top
- Final Activity - make up their own words and definitions for class game!
- Taboo (Whole Class Version) - if time permits
1. Warm Up - Triva Questions - Writing Questions for a class trivia challenge!
2. Trivia Challenge - Andy and his adventures in Guadalajara
Reminder: Structure Check MONDAY on Asking Questions!